Singapore Legal Portal
Providing information on Singapore law and links to online legal resources.
Links to sites providing information on Singapore law and legal sites with collection of commentaries, judgments, legislations and other free resources.
Links to sites of Singapore Law Firms and International Legal Practices with presence in Singapore and directories of lawyers, senior counsel, commisioners of oaths etc.
Frequently asked questions about Singapore Laws and legal matters and links to legal guides – on subjects such as criminal law, employment, divorce and family matters, immigration and legal aid.
- Google, Microsoft among companies urging court to back gay workers
- European stocks rebound on Italian banking rescue deal
- Arconic shares fall on scrutiny after Grenfell Tower fire
- Fintech can help banks with stiffer compliance
- S’pore and Japan in competition law tie-up
- Singapore law firm in global top 30
- Geylang plot action a wake-up call for property owners, buyers: Experts
- Strong take-up drives expansion at Maxwell Chambers
- Hazel Florist & Gifts Pte Ltd –  SGPDPC 09
- DataPost Pte Ltd –  SGPDPC 10
Singapore Legal System
Singapore is a republic with a parliamentary system of Government. Her legal system is derived from the British and follows the English common law tradition.
The Constitution is the nation’s supreme law. It entrenches basic freedoms of the individual and provides for the organs of state. Any legislation contrary to the Constitution shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.
The Legal Profession
The legal profession in Singapore is ‘fused’ – a lawyer may act as both an Advocate (barrister) as well as a Solicitor. Lawyers may practise as sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited partnerships (LLP) or law corporations (LLC). There can also be Joint Law Ventures and Formal Law Alliances between foreign and local practices. Foreign practices may be registered as Foreign Law Practices, Representative Offices or Qualifying Foreign Law Practices. The Law Society of Singapore is the representative body for lawyers in Singapore. The Singapore Academy of Law is a statutory body whose membership comprises the Bench, the Bar, corporate counsel and faculty members of the local law schools.